Official studies/ob...

Official studies/observations regarding the cleanliness of the out-going water  

RSS

(@carrla)
03/04/2017 5:33 pm  

Hej!
I've been toying with the idea of a (non-official) vermicomposting toilet for a while now, but since I'm planning now to officially renovate one of the buildings and it's hard to add a whole bathroom without anyone asking about where my sewage goes, I'm considering applying officially for the permit to install a vermicomposting toilet/greywater cleaning system here. Now I'm sure I'll be asked what the efficiency is. Have there been any (ideally official) ongoing observations/studies in Portugal that measured over an amount of time how clean the water is that is leaving the worm chamber? I assume I'll have to install a secondary greywater cleaning chamber here to get official permit, so I'm wondering what exactly the level of pollutants, etc is that is still in the water afterwards so I can calculate the scale (or necessity) of the secondary chamber. 
If I can get an official permit it would be a huge step for other homesteaders and holiday home owners in Sweden. 
Thanks a lot for the help!

(@admin)
Eminent Member Admin
03/04/2017 10:17 pm  

Hi Carrla

There's no long term data on the toilets installed in Portugal. It's all a little new here yet. But Anna Edey's original system (which has been going over 20 years) has data. And there are also several studies, mostly done in India, relating to vermicomposting sewerage systems. Some of these are linked on the Why worms? page. These are the studies I used to present the system to the Portuguese authorities. They also attended an environmental engineering conference in Barcelona where vermicomposting sewerage systems were on the agenda so had that input as well. Please keep us informed if you decide to go for official permitting. And the very best of luck!

ReplyQuote
(@carrla)
04/04/2017 6:12 pm  

Thank you so much! I actually found some data on Anna's site after asking here and felt a bit stupid... But now I feel confident that I can draw up a plan that the authorities here might accept, especially considering everyone here is trying  or at least pretending 😉 to be as environmentally friendly as possible. 
I'll let you know how it goes and since I'll probably write the application for the system in English, I can post it here later as a template for future applicants. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@admin)
Eminent Member Admin
04/04/2017 6:59 pm  

That's brilliant Carrla! Thanks.

ReplyQuote
 Dave
(@dave)
13/03/2019 8:32 am  

Hi Carrla,

I'm just wondering if you made an application to your authorities? If so any chance of having a look at what you submitted as I'm thinking of doing something similar here in Australia.

Thanks

Dave

ReplyQuote
Share: